Home Treatments for Pitted Keratolysis
There are many pitted keratolysis home treatments that can be utilized to prevent this infection from occurring or reoccurring. Some proactive measures one can take include:
- Avoid wearing the same pair of shoes more than two days in a row, and allow shoes to dry out for at least 24 hours before wearing them again
- Clean the feet with antibacterial soap or an antiseptic wash on a daily basis
- Use a hair dryer to dry the feet after bathing or showering
- Apply antiperspirant to the soles of the feet every day
- Avoid tight, non-ventilated footwear
- Wear cotton socks for their added absorbency, and change them often
- Athletes should always change into clean, dry socks after a strenuous work out
- Always wear socks with your shoes.
COOL AND DRY
As discussed above, the most effective method of avoiding the inconvenience and embarrassment of pitted keratolysis is by keeping the potentially affected areas clean, cool, and dry. The bacteria that cause this infection thrive in warm and moist environments, so it is imperative to deny them a welcoming breeding ground. With just a few minor steps, the chances of contracting pitting keratolysis can be greatly reduced.